Shop - Department Store
7-11 Northbrook Street,
In 1854 Joseph Hopson set up a furniture business in West Street, Newbury and in 1886 Alfred Camp started a Drapery Bazaar in Northbrook Street, Newbury. In 1920, Joseph Hopson’s grandson, Paul Hopson, married Alfred Camp’s daughter, Norah and the following year the two businesses merged to create Camp Hopson.
In 1998, Camp Hopson’s Furniture Centre was launched, offering Furniture, Beds, Carpets and Soft Furnishings from a purpose-built, award-winning building trading on two floors, located behind the Department Store.
In 2004-5, the Grade II* listed Department Store underwent a comprehensive programme of refurbishment, extension and improvements, creating a fully air-conditioned contemporary retail environment trading from three floors.
In 2009, Camp Hopson won the Drapers Award for Best Independent Department Store.
Today, the Camp Hopson Group comprises:-
40,000 sq.ft. Department Store
20,000 sq.ft. Furniture Centre
Removals business based in Hambridge Lane, Newbury, incorporating over 25,000 sq.ft. of containerised storage facilities
Subsidiary company, Woods Removals, located in Dorchester, Dorset
Funeral business located in West Street, Newbury
Sunday 10.30 to 4.30
- Baby changing facilities
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- On-site light refreshments